Search This Blog

Sunday, June 19, 2011

Father's Day

Today was another interesting day. This morning the youth group sold Father's Day gifts to help us pay for AYC, which I am totally psyched about. Then I went to mass. I have always kind of thought about Father's Day as a minor holiday, but there is a significance to it that I realized today. Today in mass I sat behind a family that I have known for a long time. They're really sweet and the two kids always help out with altar serving and stuff. So when Father stood up to bless all of the fathers, it was kind of a shock when I remembered that they didn't have one. Their father passed away a few years ago. It was one of those smacks in the face that God sends that makes you realize something. That moment made me realize how sincerely lucky I am that I still have my father. I mean, my father had cancer when I was in second grade, and I JOKE about that sometimes with my friends. How disrespectful is that? I could have lost him, and I now realize how wonderful it is that he is still here with me and Catherine. He is a wonderful father, and I couldn't imagine a life without him. Father's Day has a whole new meaning to me.

Now, I think the most heartwarming thing about this moment was what happened next. Ever since their father passed away, their uncle has stepped up and helped them out a lot. He sits with them every week during mass and helps them out. Father asked all of the fathers and those who have acted as fathers to stand up. The uncle didn't stand up at first, but the mom nudged him to stand. He looked at her in disbelief, but she said something along the lines of "You deserve this blessing" before she forced him to stand. I was really touched by this. I think it really says a lot about a person when he is willing to sacrifice in order to help his family like that. I am really glad that the mom made him stand up because he really deserved it. He is truly an example.

So, the Father's Day passage was one of my favorites today. Actually, my absolute favorite. John 3:16. I've always had this weird thing about this passage. When I was a kid, it was my favorite passage because it's my birthday. March 16. As I've gotten older, that one passage tends to show up all the time in that weird way that they do. I got a hat with 3:16 on it for my birthday, it shows up when I am looking for comfort, that kind of thing. So having that passage today was really cool. There have been books written about it and there are so many ways to reflect on it, but I think that I'll reflect on the father side of it because of the whole Father's Day thing. John 3:16 says:
"For God so loved the world that he gave  his only Son, so that everyone who believes in him might not perish but might have eternal life."
God is the ultimate father. He was willing to sacrifice what was dear to him so that his children would have a chance at eternal life. He gave us a direct way to him: Jesus. He set the stage so that our lives would all have a chance at being a journey to Heaven. There is no better gift. God gave us hope, and that is something that everyone needs. Even in the toughest times, you have a shot at Heaven because God will always love you. And his is an unconditional love, just the same way your father still loves you when you really screw up. So, I believe that the most fitting prayer today would be the Our Father. As you pray it, recognize the hope and unconditional love that God has for you and praise him for it. After, spend a few moments to treasure your father here on earth.

Happy Father's Day.


Catherine, me, and our awesome Daddy (:

No comments:

Post a Comment