Search This Blog

Saturday, June 18, 2011

Father's Day With the Finches

Today was a pretty nice day. Grandpa and Grandma Finch came over for dinner for Father's Day, and Dad cooked some really awesome chicken. Everyone hung around for a bit afterwards and discussed how disappointing the lack of attendance in churches is today. Only my family. I love spending time with the Finches. Grandma is really sweet and has been there for me since I was born. Grandpa is tied with Catherine for the funniest person I know and is a really caring person. I am totally blessed to have such awesome grandparents!

I spent most of the day working out logistics for my Gold Award Project. I never realized how difficult it is to schedule around people's conflicts! But about two hours later, I got it down. I am totally ready to start this project! Well, except the whole application thing. That thing is so long it's daunting.  But I suppose that I will finish that up tomorrow. That only leaves the letter from the Retirement Home, and then I am ready to go! :D

I'm going to start what we would call a segment in JVTV terms. It's going to be called the Memorable Bible Quote of the Day (or MBQD for short). Today's quote is from www.usccb.org (which is a really neat Catholic website, if you haven't checked it out). So here goes! :)

Both readings from USCCB are very applicable to many people's lives today and are very much to mine. I think I am going to stick to the Gospel because I'm not sure that I'm going to be very good at this. The main quote that sticks out from the Gospel (which is the passage where Jesus said "No one can serve two masters") is the quote that says "Do not worry about tomorrow; tomorrow will take care of itself". As a teenager in today's society, I love to keep myself busy. If I don't have a commitment every day, I find myself miserable. I think most teenagers will agree with me. However, this busy lifestyle has a few consequences. One of those consequences is STRESS. There is loads of it, and teenagers are known for being terrible victims of Stress. I become almost just as miserable because of the stress as I would be if I had nothing to do. I find myself lying awake at night with worries about the next day rushing through my mind, as many people probably do. However, Jesus offers a bit of comfort through his teachings. "Do not worry about tomorrow; tomorrow will take care of itself". How straightforward and perfect is that? If you trust in God, there is no reason to worry. Whatever happens happens. If you trust in God, he will make sure that you are strong enough to overcome even the toughest struggles that you will have to face. So next time you find yourself lying awake, unable to sleep because of all of the flooding thoughts, you can pray: Dear God, I am worried about what is going to happen tomorrow and in the future. Please give me the strength to remember that you said to not worry about the future and to know that you will give me the strength I need to overcome all of my obstacles. I love you and thank you for everything. 


Amen (:


Here's a picture of me and the wonderful Grandparents. I love you guys! 

No comments:

Post a Comment